Thursday, May 12, 2005

Clueless

Still in rest-and-relax mode.

All the interviews I have attended so far and are going to attend appears to be dampening my spirits. I think it is because I do not know what I want. I majored in Finance because I envisioned myself working in some big corporation, managing a group of subordinates. I know where my problem lies. What is the job description that I want? What is the exact job title that I desire? I am clueless.

It seems that most of the finance-related jobs out there for me are as a role of a financial adviser a.k.a insurance agent. I know I shouldn't be complaining in such a depressing job market but I really don't like it. It is so unglam! The thought of having to be all chummy with friends you probably meet less than 5 times a year and persuading them to buy insurance really puts me off! And why do they seem so eager in praising me to the skies and glossing over my so-so capabilities? Because nobody wants to be a financial adviser ! And, this position is not exclusive to degree holders! Diploma holders can be a financial adviser too!

I am totally screwed up. The big corporations don't want me and the small insurance companies are scrambling to get me. I am in such an odd situation!
####

My desktop has been fixed! It did not literally mean "boot failure" as suggested by the system. Turned out that the settings were a little disturbed, that's all. Hence, it did not render the need for reformatting or dismantling of the hardware.

I am eternally grateful to Uncle Chow. He is the technician who oversees the maintenance of the "ratings machine" in our house. He was the person I called instead of our "regular guy", Uncle Ming, my dad's cousin, because if we really had to send our PC to the latter for a complete overhaul, it would take months because he is always so busy!

I had wanted to call Uncle Chow hoping to solve the problem over the phone, but he volunteered to come down the next night on Monday.

When he came, he unscrewed the CPU, made some "magical changes", modified the settings a bit, and viola, everything was back to working order! When he realised there were some problems with the power supply, he gave us another three-pin plug F.O.C! This is on top of the Norton Anti-Virus 2005, Anti-Spy and Windows XP with SP2 CDs he left behind!

And to top it all up, he refused any fees for his effort! To think I always grumbled when he called in the past because of yet another problem with the ratings machine!

Whatever it is, thanks Uncle!

Through his actions, I have learnt not to too critical of people, to be less 计较, to learn to live and let live.

2 comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

Hi Javier! Thanks for your encouragement! I will definitely keep your comments in mind!

12:18 PM  
<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

Hah... I am in your position now. Proper banks do not want call me up for interview but insurance co. called me up even though I didn't apply to them. Worst, I do not have a finance background. But I really want to work as as Personal Financial Consultant. I am waiting for calls from the banks each day, but to no avail. Insurance job is just so un-glam as what you have said.
Maybe I should have just taken some cmfas exams. What Module tho?

Anyway.. hope u r enjoying ur work now:)

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home