Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The shopping bug has bitten again!

I had an interview with AIA yesterday morning 10 am, at their headquarters, AIA Tower. Nope, I made sure I clarified with the lady who called me a few days ago that this was not a position of financial adviser. Thank God! This position, Management Intern, requires the candidate to work in "Insurance Operations", they call it. And I call it, Management Intern: the dirty work, backroom stuff.

One-year contract, doing largely administrative work. But I do so hope I get it! Getting desperate liao...

The two HR executives who interviewed me were nice, like every other interviewer. Even if they are disgusted or totally turned off by you, they would not show it. Professional ethics?

I had expected a much more intense session with them shooting very vague I-don't-see-the-link-to-the-job kind of questions like:

Tell me more about yourself.

Hello! So ambiguous! Which aspects do you want to know?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I ain't have any job now. How do you expect me to see where I am in five years' time? Or as suggested by W, "I hope to be happily married with 4 kids by that time." Duh.

Do you want to talk more about your job experience at XX Company?

No, I don't! Can't you see everything is already written on my resume?

And blah.. a whole lot of other stupid and cliched questions that I have not encountered before!

But, no. I was feeling so at ease throughout the whole session because it was so one-sided. The two executives kindly explained AIA's operations, the departments, the hierarchy, the position's expectations patiently to me. Now I am beginning to worry if such a session bodes well. :(

Anyhow, the interview ended around 11.20 am and I was off to Orchard to feed my shopping bug.. which had been waiting impatiently since AIA called on Thursday coz it knows I can sneak in some shopping after the interview!

On the way to the MRT at Raffles' Place station, I was stopped by another financial adviser, Prudential again! Promoting some new savings plan! And I was so stupid to give the guy my number again!! When he slipped me his namecard, I made a mental note to keep it and remember the numbers on the card so I can miss his calls! Bah!

And I reached Orchard before 12. Early by my usual standards, but the place was already packed with oh-so-young-I-miss-those-times teenagers walking in huge groups. Sian! I know it is hard to go to Orchard without bearing the big sardines squeeze, especially during this time, but at this time?!! I was dead wrong!

That spoiler aside, I love retail therapy alone! This was one of my more successful shopping trips because I managed to get something within 15 minutes of the start!

I am so into boleros (Is that what you call it? You know, those small "sweaters" with sizes that fit someone half your age?) at this moment! So everywhere I went, I only saw boleros I only looked out for boleros! I was ooh-ing and ahh-ing and comparing prices quietly at every boutique I passed. And by chance/accidentally/unknowingly, I stepped into bYSI. I settled for this:



I love the fakey pearl buttons! So oriental! So in! And I think the pink contrasts very nicely with the black spaghetti top! But I was quite pissed off with the sales assistant! I spotted a green one that looked very nice because green is THE colour now. But I decided against buying it because the colour would go out of fashion and green isn't exactly very easy to match. So I asked her:

Me: Does this design have any other colours?

She: There's pink, blue and white. But the white one is sold out.

Me: Can you show me the pink one?

I take the green and pink one to the dressing room.

Me: (I come out) You sure there are no more white ones left? Can you help me check the other stores?

She: (She doesn't bother to check.) Oh, the white one, a customer is trying it.

Me: (in my mind) WTF! I thought you said it was sold out?!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

She: (The customer comes out) Sorry, the customer wants the piece.

And the customer, the lovely angel, tries to comfort me by saying the pink one is "very nice". Thanks, but I still feel bitter!

And as I hear the sound from the NETS machine indicating successful transaction, I see I-strongly-believe it was a bloody WHITE piece!

She: That is the blue piece.

Me: (in my mind) Fine, if you insist. Anyway the blue one looks pretty good too.

Me: Can I change the pink one for it?

She: NO.

$%#*&%&^!

Nvm. I am loving it more the longer I look at it. :)

Then I made my way to Tangs, swearing hoping to use up my gift vouchers. No go. Nuff said.

Off to Isetan Shaw the next. I just love Isetan Supermarket! I feel as if I am transported to Japan. The huge array Japanese foodstuffs never fail to mesmerize me! There was Japanese ice-cream on sale (which I can't bring back coz it will melt.), lovely, can't-bear-to-eat Japanese cakes on display. I only browsed lightly. My feet were starting to give way...

Took the escalator to Isetan, Fashion Department. I was greeted by a plethora of capelets! Yay! Not a wasted trip! I am not exaggerating! Everywhere I turned, I saw capelets. Classy, cutesy, smart casual, denim material.. You name it, they have it! And by 20 minutes, I was armed with 5 different capelets to try out. I just bugged the sales assistants with my endless "What colours do you have for this?", "Can I try this one?", "No thanks."

And my final decision after my exploits:

From Sugarlink. It came in green also, but I thought yellow flattered my skin more!

I am sooo pleased! 2 capelets in one shopping trip!

My last stop was Bishan J8. Walked into the bYSI. And I saw the white capelet! $#%@^!#&*

Cool it.

Grandma just passed me a pair of earings she made. So nice!



Finally after much cajoling, she has "ventured" in making jewellery. Not bad for a first attempt :)!

Tired liao! Another long entry! lo so!

Tata!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home