Thursday, August 04, 2005

Please just stop beating around the bush

No wonder I didn't do as well as I thought I should have for business law. And thank goodness I didn't choose to study law, not that I might have passed their interview anyway.

Because I find out a tad too late, that I suck at understanding legal speak.

My first CMFAS exam - Module 5, is scheduled for the 11th and by now, I have already read the 214-page course book twice through, ever since I got it last Tuesday. Given that I still have the time to blog, watch TV, go out and do a whole lot of other things, with the exam as my last priority, I think this is quite a achievement. I am not trying to boast about my learning capabilities. In fact, I am worried. Because I seriously think I haven't read the book as thoroughly as I should.

But it is not that I don't want to. The first two chapters on the Financial Advisors Act/Regulation/Guidelines were enough to put me to sleep. And their lengthy explanation of the different sections/sub-sections/amendments/and what-nots really dampened my initial enthusiasm.

I understand this. Lawmakers need to make sure that all sections of the Act are adequately and fully explained to avoid any loopholes in case they are exploited by potential offenders. But aren't they a tad too lengthy? A typical sentence phrase is at least 4 lines long and by the time I finish the phrase, I have forgotten what the front part meant.

And in a typical section, there is a main point, a sub point, a sub-sub point, and a sub-sub-sub point. And the explanation within each point is al least another 4 lines long. How to remember everything?

This explains why I finished studying everything so quickly. I ignored all the legal terms and read whatever I felt comfortable with applied what we learnt in General Paper by picking up the key words and main points in each of the paragraphs. Yah right.

I can only say lawmakers are probably terrible at summary writing.

zzz

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home