Sunday, November 14, 2004

Freedom! Soon..

I love my new blog! Well, actually, it's more of the little girl! She's so adorable! Took me so long last night given that I am such a novice in this HTML thing! Well, still minor blips here and there, but heck! I am pleased with it!

I am in "relax gear" now. My semester is 3/4 over, with only my GEM paper and IFM project left. The past week has been so physically and mentally draining.

Asian markets on Monday, IFM presentation on Tuesday, FM on Friday before rounding up my "memorable" week with corporate finance on Saturday! Phew! At least I am still in one piece after the ordeal.

I can't wait for the holidays to come! Already, I am in "holiday planning" mode. My "Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown is still lying on my table, waiting anxiously for me to flip its pages! Ok, give me two more weeks!

Speaking of books, Iris Chang, the well-acclaimed authour of "The Rape of Nanking", allegedly committed suicide by putting a bullet through her head on Tuesday. She had been suffering from depression and never quite recovered. The reason was most probably because she was too drawn into the subjects of her novels, failing to come out of them. I have seen this book on the library shelves several times, but always chose not to borrow it cos I would always dismiss it to be "like any other history textbook" and the subject would be too heavy for my lterary consumption.

Well, I would attempt to look out for this novel the next time I go to the library for pure interest. Perhaps I would find it an engaging novel after I read it. But granted the herd mentality of most people, it might be hard for me to lay my hands on the books coz my gut feeling tells me that the novel would soon (or might have already) disappear(ed) off the shelves!

Other things on my tentative to-do-list-for-the-hols have basically remained the same over the years. Slacking, surfing the Net, shopping, exercising, meeting up with friends, watching VCDs.. blah, blah, blah. Heck, holidays are here for a reason, and I'm going make sure I enjoy it to the fullest, even if it means slacking at home! Coz this should be the last school holiday of my life (unless I go crazy and do honours by getting a CAP of 5 this semester, which is highly unlikely!)

On a more serious note, it is encouraging to see more young people taking up positions in the government, especially in Parliament. Just read an article run by The Sunday Times on ex-Miss Singapore Eunice Olsen, become a Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) at a young age of 27.

Which makes me feel so guilty. Where would I be or be doing at 27? Most probably holding a job I might not even enjoy; and like a typical Singaporean, complain like I am already doing now, about the transport system, the weather, the government, and everything that pisses me off. And only get all patrotic come National Day.

This is where a stark difference emerges between Singapore and many other countries, like Hong Kong and the West.

All we ever do is to complain incesantly, but given the chance to speak up, we shut our mouths up. This is where a stark difference emerges that separates Singapore from many countries. Let's not even talk about the West. The Hong Kongers and Taiwanese are known for being outspoken. Yes, their outspokeness may sometimes translate into riots and demonstrations, but at least they speak up.

I am not advocating anything so extreme like Singaporeans should get together to form a demonstration to go against the government's policies. Young Singaporeans need to take up a more active stake in their country.

And I am trying to tell myself that too. Stop complaining too much and if there's anything you want, speak up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home