Sunday, December 11, 2005

Marathon completed

The 10km race.. that is.

This time last week, I was at the Imperial Treasures restaurant at Wisma Atria together with my colleagues, enjoying a nice dim sum treat from our boss because it was her birthday. And of course, this was our little reward for having shown good team spirit by taking part in the Standard Chartered Marathon 10 km run.

All of us had dreaded this day. When I first joined the branch, and I heard the other people talking about the marathon, how they had already registered for it, I thought I could keep quiet and escape from all this hooha. Of course, I couldn't and I ended up being one of those last few to register for the event.

The week of the marathon was a busy one. There was showflat duty on Wednesday, scorecard rollout on Thursday, D&D on Friday and ended with marathon on Sunday.

We went to collect our race pack on Friday and I like my race ID.

Picture 001

Nice number right?

Reached the Starbucks outlet at Raffles City on Sunday morning at 6.30am. It was so early in the morning and it was queer seeing that everyone around you were all dressed similarly.

The run started at 7am sharp and for the first time, all of us were running on the roads of Shenton Way, legitimately! Ran past all the office buildings and reached Marina South. This stretch was a complete torture! Not only were there no buildings to look at to distract my attention, there were just trees, grass, more trees and grass and narrow, uneven paths!

And the route signs that showed our progress only served to demoralize me further when the first sign showed 2 km after when I thought I had ran forever. And it was only two freaking kilometres?!

And as if knowing that route signs for every kilometre completed would be a depressing thought for runners, the organizers decided to do away with the signs until the 5th kilometre when there was the U turn. Good idea! By then, I was feeling slightly better. At least I was halfway through. At least I was seeing some results. Only 5 km more to go. Not too bad.

The timer read 1:29:11 when I sprinted across the finishing line. My chip time read 1:21:21, which made me the 2nd fastest runner in my branch, out of 6 people.. -_-

10 km @ 81 mins 21 secs meaning
1 km @ 8.1 mins 21 secs

Comparing such results to the 2.4km run I did in school,

2.4km = 8.1 mins 21 secs * 2.4km = app 16 mins!!

Bad bad! This is bad!! I am slower!!

Granting that 10km is the longest distance I ever ran, and I haven't run in such degree in like three years, and that above formula was calculated assuming I maintained my speed for the full 10 km = not accurate, this result is quite ok lah..

Yadda yadda yadda.. excuses and excuses...

Anyway, this is my prize for all my effort..

Picture 002

A winner's medal! That was available to everyone who finished their 10km run. In short, no big deal..

Image005

Checked my race analysis and I am slightly behind the halfway mark. Not too bad granting that I only trained a week before the actual event.

Will try to take part in next year's 10km event if I am still in the bank then. Don't Mark my words for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home